January 1, 2014

christmas 2013: part II:

I think I had a harder time sleeping Christmas Eve than Elliott. I was so excited to see him (really) experience Christmas morning for the first time, I could have burst. 

When he woke up, I went and got him and carried him into the living room. When he saw what Santa had left for him, he whispered "ah, Thomas!" I sat him down, and he crawled slowly on all fours over to his new train table as if he couldn't believe it was really there. He quietly inspected everything, the tracks, the buildings, the engines, and immediately drifted into his own little train world. 







Gary and I just watched him play. We offered him his gifts from us and his stocking, but he was too engrossed in his play to care about any of that. So, we just exchanged gifts with each other while he carried on with Thomas.  


Gary got me a Timi and Leslie diaper bag, some tall black boots, perfume, a (Julianne) charm for my necklace, and a gift card to Dry Bar to get my hair styled. What a sweet husband! I must have been a good girl this year. :)

I got him some necessities: a new electric razor, socks, boxers, etc. But, his real surprise was a carry gun (Glock 19), holster, and ammo for when his conceal carry license comes in the mail. I think he was pretty surprised.

Midway into our unwrapping, Elliott decided he was ready to take a break from Thomas and give it a go. It took a while to get through his stocking and 3 gifts from us, because he wanted to stop and play with each thing he opened before moving on to the next gift.


Around 10:00, my family arrived for brunch and gifts. We traditionally do Christmas morning at my parent's house, but they are living in a temporary home while they build, and everyone wanted to see Elliott with his new train table, so we got to host this year. Mom brought her famous breakfast casserole, Jess brought fruit and dip, and I made blueberry muffins.

^^^ showing off his new train set to "Aunt Sica" ^^^

After our bellies were full, we all exchanged gifts with each other. Elliott was definitely spoiled by his grandparents, aunts and uncle this year. He loved opening every gift, and insisted that his Poppy open each one for him to play with before moving on to the next. He got a few other things, but he mostly got Thomas and Friends engines for his new train set. He knew all of their names, and took each one straight over to the table to join the others.  




^^^ all of his engines (and this was before we did christmas with gary's family!) ^^^
When all the gifts were opened, everyone headed home for an afternoon nap. That evening, we had Christmas dinner at my grandparent's (Dad's parents) house. Elliott got the "Hug Me Elmo" from my grandparents, and it was another big hit. He loves hugging him, and taking care of him. He even let Elmo wear his favorite Thomas shirt today. :)


Friday, Gary's family came to spend the day with us and celebrate Christmas. I think I was so wiped out by this point, I forgot to take any pictures, but I did get one cute one of Elliott reading with his Grandma and Aunt Gina.


We exchanged gifts, ate lunch at Chipotle, shopped for the new cousins due in May, and watched Elliott entertain. He got a doctor's kit, and several new engines to add to his collection. He doctored Elmo, and told everyone the names of all of his engines. I think it's safe to say this little boy is set in the toy department for a while!

Saturday morning, we joined the rest of the Grant family in Arkadelphia for lunch, dinner, visiting and more gift exchanging. We got to see one of Gary's cousins and his wife whom we had not seen in about a year and a half, and enjoyed catching up with them.

All in all, it was a perfect Christmas. We are all very blessed. I'm so thankful for our families, and the reason we celebrate this time of year. Looking forward to many more Christmases with our little train guru, and his little sister.

1 comment:

  1. omg christmas was SO much fun this year. glad we decided to do it at your house. i literally cannot wait for next year when we have our two new editions.

    come on MAY!! hurry up!

    ReplyDelete